There are many versions of pasta recipes, and I have tried them all for personal curiosity and professional reasons.
After a year making pasta in a fine dining restaurant, I can tell you this is the absolute best ‘no-fail’ recipe. Just to note, this is your typical fresh, Italian-style pasta made with eggs and flour. It is not made to be dried out, which is made without eggs, but instead meant to be enjoyed the day that you make it.
250 g flour 00
60 g water
1 pinch of saffron
60 g egg yolk
10 ml olive oil
Preparing The Dough
1. Separate the yolk from the egg whites and set aside the yolk.
2. Measure out the water with the saffron and set aside.
3. Add the flour on the work surface. Create a dip in the middle with your hands.
4. Add the yolk in the center of the flour. Then add the water and the olive oil mixture.
5. Mix the ingredients with your hands to combine well.
6. Knead for approx. 5 minutes. If the pasta dough is too dry, add just a little bit of water and continue kneading.
7. Roll into a ball.
8. Wrap the dough with cling film and reserve in the refrigerator for 1-hour minimum.
Food Processor Instructions:
Instead of steps 3-5, add the ingredients one at a time on low speed to the food processor. minimum.
Rolling The Pasta Dough
1. Lightly flour the work surface and the dough.
2. Cut the dough in half. Cut the dough into quarters, if you double the recipe.
3. Set up your pasta machine by clamping it to your work surface.
4. Roll the dough with a rolling pin so that it fits into the pasta machine.
5. Begin with the dial setting with the largest opening. Then feed the dough in the top of the pasta machine and start cranking the machine. Guide the dough as it comes out of the machine to keep it flat. Be careful not to stretch or tear the sheet.
6. Change the dial to a smaller setting and roll the dough through the machine again. Do this until you have long thin dough approx 3-4 times total.
7. Lightly flour your work surface. Fold the pasta dough into thirds. Quickly roll with a rolling pin.
8. Then, put the dough through the machine. Continue this whole process for a total of 2-3 times until you have a nice smooth band of pasta.
9. Now the dough is ready to cut into your desired type of pasta.
Making your Pasta
1. Cut into rectangles as desired.
2. Cook as usual per your lasagna recipe.
1. Cut the pasta band into your desired length.
2. Attach the desired cutter attachment to the pasta machine.
3. Feed the dough in the top of the pasta machine and start cranking the machine.
4. Add a bit of flour to your cut pasta and separate it on a tray or curl it into a nest.
5. Repeat the process until you have cut all your dough.
6. You can reserve your cut pasta in the refrigerator wrapped in cling film for up to 24 hours if needed. But I recommend cooking immediately or within a few hours.
7. Cook over gently boiling water for 60 seconds and serve immediately. Fresh pasta is cooked when it rises to the top of the water.